Thursday 15 November 2012

Marvel Images and History


I've always loved Marvel comics. Ever since I was a kid I used to rush down to the local store and pick up the latest comic books. They used to be so cheap too 'back in the day', cheap enough in fact for me to get most of the titles each month. Hulk, Fantastic Four, Iron Fist, Daredevil,Spidey etc etc.
However one title was always my fave and first choice. That was 'The Defenders'. A super group similar to 'The Avengers' but the difference was they were cool.

Led by Dr.Strange and starring primarily 'The Hulk, Sub Mariner, HellCat, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, and more. I loved the way they dealt with the more mystical and even occult which other comics stayed clear from.

I'll be honest.I don't remember the Blue Oyster Cult references (hell, I was only 10), I actually came across part of it on the official Blue Oyster Cult website itself, but it doesn't show much so, so after a lot of digging I've managed to get some of the pics of these and some more info.
From what I can gather The Blue Oyster Cult refernces started in Marvel spotlight but didn't really come into thier own until they were launched in 'The Defenders'.
Check this out...

Firstly...And this is sooo good.

Defenders issue 58 introduced us to ..'The Cult of the Harvester of Eyes'. They had an 'Agent of Fortune'.


'Vera Gemini' (pictured below in Demon form)was a half human/half demon who wanted to take over the world.


Issue 59 of 'The Defenders' really started running with things.
Firstly here's the front cover...'Tyranny and Mutation'


And the introduction picture..


This page is the best actually Featuring Blue Oyster Cult.


 I just HAD to enlarge this..'Dominace and Submission'!!! gotta love it.


This issue also introduced as well to a demon called 'Belathauzer' (Balthauzer) who was resurrected and took the human form of an Air Force base commander (ME262?!!).

Here's 'Belathauzer/Balthauzer' in true form!




Issue 60 continued with the Cult theme with Vera Gemini even making the front cover!!


and look at this inside title page...

'The Revenge of Vera Gemini'


Unfortunately Vera Gemini was over thrown and the 'Cult of the Harvester of Eyes' also ended up being lost forever.

Here's Vera in human form being stopped by 'Devil slayer' friend of the Defenders.


And that's pretty much it. I think it's great that Marvel did this and to think in my own fave comic series.What a stroke of luck. I always knew 'The Defenders' were the best.










No comments:

Post a Comment