Sunday 25 November 2012

Club Ninja - Remastered 2012


Even though this is a Radio and Soundboard home for BOC, 
I also want to highlight one official album and as I've just reveiwed the radio broadcasts in the 40th anniversary box set which happens to also house every Columbia released album and remastered in 2012 then this seems as good a place as anywhere todo it.

So I’m gonna put my neck out on the line here.
I never used to like this album. I remember it coming out and a friend bought it and we listened to it round at his house and I was gob smacked. It was so poppy and terrible.The cover artwork seemed almost childlike and just didn't work.
I’ve always regarded ‘Extra Terrestrial Live’ as the bands best ever album. Yeah I know that's a live album. so comparing these 2 was the ultimate chalk and cheese.



However I’ve recently started visiting the back catalogue again as I tend to do every once in a while. (First time was 1981, some 30 years ago!!)
Anyway I’ve been playing ‘Club Ninja’ so much recently and really have to announce to the world that this album is AMAZING. 
I feel guilty I didn't rate it way back in '85. Sure it’s not mega heavy but BOC’s studio strength was in their subtle tones. Buck is still all over this album like a rash though. It seems to me that the album has improved with age. I’m not going to go through all the songs. You’ve probably already played the album to death anyways over the years.

Track listing:
1. White Flags
2. Dancin' In The Ruins
3. Make Rock Not War
4. Perfect Water
5. Spy In The House Of Night
6. Beam 'em Up
7. When The War Comes
8. Shadow Warrior
9. Madness To The Method
 
But all that aside I will say that if you’ve NOT played ‘Club Ninja’ for a long time or if you’ve been swayed by the negative reviews over the years or if you’re wary cos Allen and Albert aren’t on it,   
Just cos there’s songs written by other writers on it, whatever the reason....Dig it out and just play it. The new re-master from the box set really does give this album what it needed.It's still not perfect but it has moved up so much in my estimation that I can honestly rank it now as definitely being in my top studio albums of BOC and also one of the greatest Rock albums EVER.
Even the cover artwork seems pretty cool now too.
I love this album.
There I said it!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love this album too! The cassette got stuck in the tape deck of my car, and I listened to it continuously for months. Never got tired of it.
    And of course the remaster sounds much better than an 80's car stereo.

    ReplyDelete